Friday, August 11, 2006

Something useful you should know

Update: I should have trusted my instincts about chain letters. Apparently the 9-0-# scam is a hoax. So suggests Snopes.com. Econopundit posts a mea culpa.

I usually distrust chain letters or notices. But this one seems to be very useful. Not only that it's from Econopundit whom I find reliable on economic matters. The advice herein can head off a growing scam involving long distance calling on your telephone. Be aware.

PASS ON TO EVERYONE YOU KNOW -- I received a telephone call last evening from an individual identifying himself as an AT&T Service technician who was
conducting a test on the telephone lines.
He stated that to complete the test I should touch nine( 9 ), zero( 0 ), the
pound sign ( # ), and then hang up. Luckily, I was suspicious and refused. Upon
contacting the telephone company, I was informed that by pushing 90#, you give
the requesting individual full access to your telephone line, which enables them
to place long distance calls billed to your home phone number.I was further
informed that this scam has been originating from many local jails/prisons.
DO NOT press 90# for ANYONE!

The GTE Security Department requested that I share this information with EVERYONE I KNOW. After checking with Verizon they said it was true, so do not dial 90# for anyone!!!!!

PLEASE PASS THIS ON TO EVERYONE YOU KNOW.

No comments: